Waiting List for New Students 2019
Open for registration the 1st - 31st of August
In relation to the beginning of studies in the summer/fall of 2019 it has been a request from Copenhagen municipality (Københavns Kommune) that newly admitted students in Copenhagen with urgent housing-needs can be extraordinarily prioritized.
It is NOT a “first come, first served”-list. So you do NOT have to be ready by your computer in order to be first.
NB! Note that you are not eligible to apply accommodations through CIU if you have less than two semesters of studies in Copenhagen. Exchange students for only one semester are therefore not eligible to apply accommodations through CIU and we advise those students to apply for accommodations elsewhere.
NB! It has been decided by the municipality of Copenhagen that Master students are not eligible to apply for the special waiting list for new students 2019 as they are not considered to be ‘new’ students. However, master students can apply through CIU at the regular waiting list.
You cannot be considered for the special waiting list for newly admitted students 2019 if you:
· Have two or less than two semesters of study in Copenhagen (this also applies for the regular waiting list at CIU)
· Start a master education. A master student is therefore not considered as a newly admitted student.
· Are a single student with child/children
· Are two persons applying together
· Are two persons with child/children
· Are going to study in Næstved, Køge or Helsingør
· Are going to study in Lyngby-Taarbæk or Roskilde Kommune, e.g. RUC or DTU
You may be able to apply for youth accommodations via the regular waiting list on s.dk, though.
As an approved applicant on the special waiting list for newly admitted students you will receive housing offers that:
- Are one-room accommodations
- Cost maximum 3.500 kr. a month (including consumption and potential housing benefits)
- Are situated within maximum one-hour of commuting time from your educational institution
NB All the places offered through the waiting list for new students are 1-room places where it's only possible to live 1 person. If you only want places where you can live with someone else you shouldn't apply for the waiting list for new students.
CIU are sending out housing offers to approved applicants on the special waiting list for new students in August. The special waiting list is being discontinued the 30th of November 2019 which means that CIU stops sending out offers via the special waiting list for new students. The regular waiting list s.dk will from this date be the only active waiting list.
How to Apply for the Waiting List for New Students 2019
It is required that you are an applicant with CIU in order to be considered for the special waiting list for new students. So be sure to fill in an application here at s.dk. After you have made sure that you are a regular applicant at CIU, you should read the guidelines for signing up for the special waiting list for new students 2019 and send in the required information. This means that you have to do the following in order to register:
1. Make sure that you are a regular applicant at CIU
2. You need to add the special waiting list for new students (studiestartslisten) to your waiting list accommodations. You do this by searching for the postal code ’’2900’’ or enter the Danish name of the waiting list ‘Studiestartslisten’. Click the building named ’Studiestartslisten’ and finally you need to sign up by clicking on the sign up-button for the accommodation with the same name.
3. Send in the necessary documentation to email@example.com with your applicant number (ansøgernummer).
You cannot be approved as an applicant at the special waiting list before these three steps have been executed!
Important: You must, no later than 10 days after adding the waiting list for new students, send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. necessary documentation of study
2. a copy of your yellow social security-card if you have one.
Remember to add you applicant number ('Ansøgernr.'). You will not be approved as an applicant until we have received your documentation via email@example.com.
NB! You will not receive an email confirmation if you are approved – you will automatically be approved for the waiting list for new students.
You will hear from CIU when you get a housing offer.
Make sure that you meet the demands for the special waiting list
Make sure that you can be considered for the prioritized housing and read about what documentation is needed below Demands and documentation.
How does it work and what rules apply?
You apply for all of the CIU accommodations in Copenhagen (that observe the before mentioned conditions), including accommodation in e.g Ballerup or Brønshøj. This means that you have the chance of getting a housing offer on Vesterbro (in the centre of Copenhagen) as well as in Ballerup (west of Copenhagen).
You can sign up for the urgent housing list from August 1st at noon at s.dk. It is NOT a “first come, first served”-list. So you do NOT have to be ready by your computer in order to be first.
Consequences by declining or not responding to a housing offer
1. You use one of your two offers. If you answer “No” to your offer, you can no longer be considered as in urgent need of housing at the waiting list for new students, and you will therefore be transferred to the regular waiting list.
2. If you already have used one offer on the ordinary waiting list, and you say “No” to the offer you get on special waiting list for new students, your application will automatically be erased and you must fill in a new application. The urgent housing list is active from August 1st to November 30th.
The distribution of housing at the urgent housing list and placement on the special waiting list
If you are approved at the special waiting list for new students your placement on the waiting list will be made from the calculation:
Regular waiting list seniority + distance to education facility
placement on the waiting list
This means that an applicant, who has been an active applicant on www.ciu.dk since for instance June 1st, will get a housing offer sooner than an applicant, who has been active on www.ciu.dk since June 21st.
NB! Unfortunately, we are not able to give a specific estimate on when you will receive a housing offer.
Demands and documentation
Your nationality is not important, however you must meet the criteria of CIU for admittance, such as age, economy etc. Your education MUST begin between July 15th 2019 and September 30th 2019.
You can be considered for the prioritized housing, if you meet the demands for one of these two groups:
1. You are a newly admitted student in the greater Copenhagen area (Holbæk, Haslev, Slagelse, Roskilde, Lyngby, Køge, and Ringsted are NOT considered a part of Copenhagen).
2. You have more than one hour of transport from your present accommodation to your future educational facility when traveling with public transport. CIU will check if you have more than one hour of transport.
You are a newly admitted student if you are to start one of the following educations:
- The longer higher educations on undergraduate level (universities and business schools, but NOT master level programs)
- The medium length higher educations (pedagogue- and teachers colleges, nurse’s colleges, engineer’s colleges, social worker’s colleges etc.).
- The short higher educations (computer science, multimedia designer etc.). The necessary documentation of study must be sent to CIU with you applicant number (ansøgernummer), before you can be approved as an applicant at the special waiting list for new students.
Remember! The necessary documentation of study must be sent to CIU and a copy of your social security-card [yellow card] (only if you have one), before you can be approved at the urgent housing list.
Approved documentation is:
1. Copy of acceptance/welcome letter (page 1)
2. A copy of your social security-card [yellow card] (only if you have one).
The documentation must be sent to CIU within 10 days after you have applied for the special waiting list for new students. You will NOT receive an email confirmation if you are approved via Group 1 – you will automatically be approved for the waiting list for new students.
NB: Only a few students are accepted in Group 2 each year.
You are newly admitted (with less than one hour of transport to your educational facility) or an older student in the greater Copenhagen area, who has an extraordinary urgent housing-need due to social or financial reasons.
Extraordinary reasons for an urgent housing need is i.e. violence, illness or other similar extraordinary social situations.
Therefore it is not a sufficient reason to be categorized as having an extraordinary urgent housing need, if you do not have a place to live, or are coming from abroad.
If you believe yourself a part of Group 2, you MUST send a special letter of application to CentralIndstillingsUdvalget, where you describe your present housing-situation. Your situation has to be well documented and i.e. include statements from the authorities.
CIU must receive this letter no later than 10 days after you have applied for waiting list for new students on www.ciu.dk. Remember to write your applicant number (ansøgernummer) in the letter.